#1Chinese Gap Year (CGY) in Taipei 2023-24 華語菁英壯遊專班 2023-24學年
Please visit CGY's website for additional information.
Chinese Gap Year (CGY) in Taipei is the sister program of National Taiwan University's world-renowned International Chinese Language Program (ICLP), which has been educating students and scholars of Mandarin Chinese for nearly 60 years.
Launched in September 2020, CGY is a nine-month gap year experience for recent high school graduates who are excited to learn Chinese, experience life in Taiwan, and grow as young people. It is open to recent high school graduates of all Chinese proficiency levels, and features:
- An intensive and immersive Mandarin Chinese language and culture program.
- Housing option that balances safety and support with independent living.
- Social and cultural immersion on campus, in the city, and around Taiwan.
- Personalized attention and around-the-clock support and resources.
- A CGY teacher and staff-to-student ratio of 1:2.5 or lower.
- Weekly, monthly, and quarterly activities and excursions.
- A safe and friendly environment for living and learning. A memorable and meaningful gap year experience!
Founded in 1962 to train and develop the oral discursive ability of America's academic elite, ICLP has provided instruction over the past half-century to hundreds of students who now serve in academia and government. Following these instructional practices, CGY students will have three to four hours of Chinese language and culture classes (including daily one-on-one instruction) plus about three to four hours of daily homework.
In addition, students will be paired with a language partner, who is a current National Taiwan University undergraduate student. Beyond that, since the classroom space is a Chinese-only area, students will have many opportunities to engage in Chinese with program staff and classmates. And since Mandarin Chinese is spoken by Taiwan's 23 million residents, every interaction provides students an opportunity to strengthen their skills and accelerate their progress.
Learn more about the textbooks students will use and the progress they will make.
CGY is much more than an academic experience. It is also a living experience, and creating a sense of community among students, teachers, and program staff is important to us. With program enrollment limited to 30 students, the teacher/staff-to-student ratio of 1:2.5 or lower ensures that all students will receive individualized attention.
As a group, we’ll host weekly social and cultural events, plus weekend trips within Taipei and around Taiwan. In addition, students will participate in a once-per-quarter multi-day trip that will allow them to deepen their understanding of Taiwanese culture and society.
Taiwan is “The Heart of Asia”, and as Taiwan’s capital city, Taipei is a wonderful place to call home. In fact, for two years in a row, it has been named the best city in the world for expats because of its safety and affordability, great public transportation and healthcare systems, and friendly and accommodating local residents.
Students will be able to explore mountains and beaches, temples and night markets, aboriginal culture, and cutting-edge technology companies. And through it all, they will be forming lifelong friendships and engaging in Chinese.
Just a few of the benefits of life in Taipei:
- Get to the mountains in less than 20 minutes on Taipei's world-class subway system.
- Enjoy the sunshine and make the most of the heat (yes, Taiwan can get pretty hot!) by taking an hour’s train ride to Fulong's beautiful beaches.
- Or stay in the city, exploring temples and enjoying the many tasty snacks in Taipei's numerous night markets.
- Visit every corner of the city on Taipei’s extensive and convenient bike-sharing system.
- Raining? This may be the home of bubble tea, but Taipei also has an amazing coffee shop culture. Hunker down in one of Taipei’s countless independent coffee houses and chat with friends, do some journaling, or of course study Chinese!
CGY students have the option of living in the Taipei Paradise apartment building on the edge of campus, and students can also find their own housing.
No matter where students live, while they are on campus, they will be able to take advantage of NTU facilities, including access to the largest library in Taiwan, the university’s fitness and health centers, and multiple on-campus cafeterias and restaurants. Perhaps most importantly, students will have the ability to join NTU student groups and make friends with Taiwanese students.
CGY in Taipei will be an opportunity for students to learn a language, explore a different part of the world, and discover more about themselves.
We recognize that this is a special and important time in our students' lives, and we take seriously their safety, health, and wellbeing while here. Students will strengthen their independence and be even more prepared to succeed in college, and while they will be expected to be responsible and proactive, they should also know that the CGY community will provide the support they need to have success.
Scroll up and click on the tabs to learn more about the program calendar, fees, application process, and textbooks. You can also view our Frequently Asked Questions (which contains information on visas), or read more about our program mission and goals, stance on diversity, and other policies.
Other questions? Get in touch directly by email.
#Program Fees (not including housing)
Application Fee (non-refundable) NT$3,000 Program Fees Fee Physical Track Tuition Due Date Non-refundable Enrollment Deposit NT$23,000 Due date specified in admission letter;
deposit to be applied towards your first quarter program fee.
2023 Fall NT$231,000 August 10, 2023 2024 Winter NT$231,000 November 30, 2023 2024 Spring NT$214,500 February 29, 2024
- All program fees are charged in New Taiwan Dollar by credit card. The enrollment deposit will be credited against the total tuition fee.
- The program fee covers textbooks/materials required for students' classes, except for Independent Studies courses for High-Advanced level students. The Program Fee does not cover day-to-day living expenses, housing, or insurance.
- CGY is not able to offer financial aid, but certain students may be eligible to apply for the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship.
- If for some reason CGY is not able to run, all accepted students will have the option to participate in ICLP.
If students need to withdraw from the Program, the following refund guidelines must be observed:
- Students who submit a refund application prior to the first day of class are entitled to a 90% refund of the tuition.
- Students who submit a refund application before the end of the first third of classes are entitled to a refund of 50% of the tuition.
- There will be no refund after the first third of the classes.
- If courses of an entire quarter are cancelled due to low enrollment or other reasons unrelated to the student, a full refund will be issued without interest.
- The cost of any textbook, course material, and associated shipping fees incurred before a refund is requested shall be borne by the student and deducted from the refundable amount.
- No refund will be issued for the application fee.
- Refund applications shall be submitted by 17:00 of the due date. Please submit the following information by online request form (contact ICLP by email for the link):
a. Refund request form (template provided by ICLP);
b. Bank account information.
The refund is expected to be transferred approximately 4-6 weeks after the refund application is confirmed complete by ICLP. The student shall be responsible for all associated bank charges.
- Students who are unable to attend the program may apply for a deferment of enrollment prior to the tuition due date. The enrollment deposit and/or full tuition will be held for one year. A re-application must be submitted by the application deadline of the quarter enrollment is to be deferred to. No application for deferment will be accepted after the tuition due date.
- Enrollment can only be deferred once. A processing fee and any difference in tuition will be charged in the event that the tuition is raised. However, no refund of tuition difference will be issued if the tuition is reduced. No refund application will be accepted once deferment is granted whether or not the applicant is able to enroll.
- Fees for optional courses, field trips, housing and insurance are non-refundable.
- The refund policy is in compliance with the Regulations for Implementation of Continuing Education at Higher Education Institutions (專科以上學校推廣教育實施辦法修正條文; 100.1.11教育部令) enacted by the R.O.C Ministry of Education.
Students who would like to apply to this program must be recent high school graduates who have not yet begun university. If you are currently in university, or have already graduated from college, then we encourage you to apply directly to our main ICLP Academic Year Program.
Application Deadline (Taiwan Time, UTC +8):
QUARTERS APPLICATION REFERENCE LETTERFall Quarter(September 20 - December 8, 2023) June 30, 2023 July 4, 2023Winter Quarter(December 28 - March 15, 2023) October 15, 2023 October 20, 2023Spring Quarter(March 20 - May 31, 2024) January 30, 2024 January 20, 2023
► CGY Application Requirements & Instructions
► CGY Online Application System
Some compatibility issues may occur with certain browsers; if pop-up messages do not show up properly, please try switching to another browser. Thank you for your patience.