#1Flagship Summer Program 領航班
ICLP has been offering a rigorous summer program to Flagship students since 2012. Over the years, Flagship students who received intensive language instruction at ICLP have found their speaking, listening, reading, and writing abilities to improve by at least one sub-level over the course of one summer.
Founded in 1962 to train and develop the oral discursive ability of America's academic elite, ICLP has provided instruction to many alumni who serve in academia and government over the last half century. ICLP is situated on the Main Campus of the National Taiwan University in Taipei, offering Flagship students access to the NTU Main Library, Health Center, Sports Center, and other facilities in addition to ICLP facilities.
By coming to ICLP to study, students will not only improve their Chinese ability significantly, but also enjoy Taiwan's abundant, diverse, and exquisite cultures. ICLP has formulated this program specially for Flagship students to provide them with the best study environment with an ideal living arrangement.
This program is for students affiliated with the Flagship Program at the following universities:
- Arizona State University
- Brigham Young University
- Hunter College
- Indiana University
- San Francisco State University
- University of Hawaii, Manoa
- University of Minnesota
- University of Mississippi
- University of North Georgia
- University of Oregon
- University of Rhode Island
- Western Kentucky University
PROGRAM DURATION: 9 weeks (June 8–August 14, 2020)
INSTRUCTIONAL HOURS: 172 class hours (4 class hours/day)
► Program Calendar
► Program Fees
► Application Information
At least one sub-level of progress in speaking, listening, reading and writing; students must sign a 24-hour LANGUAGE PLEDGE to speak only Chinese for the duration of the program.
To be determined by each student's home institution. ICLP will email and mail a copy of your transcript to your Flagship Center at the end of the program. If your Study Abroad or Registrar's Office requires an official copy as well, please request and pay for one prior to leaving Taiwan.
Taipei Paradise, a serviced apartment complex close to ICLP with the following AMENITIES:
living room, kitchen (oven, microwave, refrigerator), separate washroom and bathroom, bed, bedding (mattress, blanket and pillow), desk, wardrobe, washer and dryer, TV, internet access, air-conditioner, hot water (available 24 hours), cleaning service (weekly).
Please note that all rooms are double occupancy. ► More housing information
Determined according to the student's language proficiency level. Please refer to the graph below for details.
Non-core Class Text
A Course for Contemporary Chinese III
Stories from Chinese History I
Talks on Chinese Culture
Learning Chinese with Newspaper I
Thought and Society
Learning Chinese with Newspaper II
Advanced Mid & above
The Independent Reader
News and Views
Daily dictation quizzes, weekly speeches, term essay (2,000 characters), presentations, language and cultural activities, and written exams.
2020 FLAGSHIPMONDAY, JUNE 8, 2020 TO FRIDAY, AUGUST 14, 2020
6/7 (Sunday) Earliest dormitory move-in date 6/8 (Monday) Placement test; Latest arrival date 6/9-11 (Tuesday-Thursday) Orientation (Attendance required) 6/12 (Friday) Class schedule and textbooks distributed 6/15 (Monday) Classes begin 6/25-6/28 (Thursday-Sunday) National Holiday: Dragon Boat Festival (ICLP closed) 7/25-28 (Saturday-Tuesday) Language Mission Days 8/13 (Thursday) Exit exam 8/14 (Friday) Post-test; Last day of summer program 8/16 (Sunday) Latest dormitory move-out date
Note: The above schedule is subject to change in accordance with the announcement made by the Central Personnel Administration, Taiwan.
2020 PROGRAM FEES
Fee Amount Due Date Non-refundable Enrollment Deposit US$500 January 17, 2020 (Priority enrollment)
February 21, 2020 (Non-priority enrollment)
Tuition US$4,950 May 14, 2020 for the tuition balance of US$4,450 Off-campus Dormitory Fee NT$68,000
May 14, 2020
► All tuition and off-campus dormitory fees will be charged in New Taiwan Dollar by credit card or Paypal; hence, the amount in US dollar is subject to change without notice.
► The dormitory fee of NT$68,000 includes a security deposit of NT$9,000 (approx. US$290), refundable once the student has met all the requirements of the check-out inspection. A fee will be deducted by PayPal in the refund process.
If students need to withdraw from the Program, the following refund guidelines must be observed:
- Students who submit a refund application prior to the first day of class are entitled to a 90% refund of the tuition.
- Students who submit a refund application before the end of the first third of classes are entitled to a refund of 50% of the tuition.
- There will be no refund after the first third of the classes.
- If courses of an entire quarter are cancelled due to low enrollment or other reasons unrelated to the student, a full refund will be issued without interest.
- Except in the event of Item 4, no refund will be issued for the application fee.
- Refund applications shall be submitted by 17:00 of the due date. Please submit the following documents to the ICLP Office in person (the procedure takes about 1 hour):
- Application form (filled out at ICLP);
- Payment receipt (original);
- ICLP student ID card (original);
- Photocopy of national ID card, passport or ARC;
- Photocopy of the applicant's bank passbook (bankbook) cover page, which should clearly indicate the account name, account number and the name of the bank branch.
- Students who are unable to attend/continue the program may apply for a deferment of enrollment.
- When a deferment application is submitted prior to the first day of class, the enrollment deposit and/or full tuition will be held for one year.
- When a deferment application is submitted before the end of the first third of classes, two-thirds of the tuition will be held for one year. The applicant must pay the remaining tuition balance prior to the tuition due date of the quarter they wish to defer their enrollment to.
- No application for deferment will be accepted after the first third of the classes.
- A processing fee and any difference in tuition will be charged in the event that the tuition is raised. However, no refund of tuition difference will be issued if the tuition is reduced.
- Enrollment can only be deferred once. No refund application will be accepted once deferment is granted whether or not the applicant is able to enroll.
- Fees for optional courses, field trips, housing and insurance are non-refundable.
- The refund policy is in compliance with the Regulations for Implementation of Continuing Education at Higher Education Institutions (專科以上學校推廣教育實施辦法修正條文; 100.1.11教育部令) enacted by the R.O.C Ministry of Education.
2020 Flagship Summer ProgramSTUDENT PREREQUISITES:
Flagship students with overall Chinese language ability at or above the Intermediate-Mid level.
- Application Form
Includes a 200-word statement of purpose.
Please provide a digital, high-resolution photo in JPEG, JPG or PNG format. The Photo will be used for making your student ID card once you are admitted.
- List of Chinese language courses taken
- Language skills assessment form
To be completed directly on the ICLP Online Application System by your language instructor
- Chinese language proficiency exams and scores (if applicable)
- Other materials required by student's home university
APPLICATION LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT FORM Priority Deadline January 2, 2020 January 6, 2020 Regular Deadline January 31, 2020 February 4, 2020
- Admission decisions will be announced in approximately two weeks after the receipt of applications fully completed before the priority deadline.
- For applications submitted between the priority deadline and regular deadline, the admission decisions will be announced by February 14, 2020 via the online application system.
► ICLP Online Application System
Some compatibility issues may occur with certain browsers; if pop-up messages do not show up properly, please try switching to another browser. Thank you for your patience.
- Application Form