#12024 Flagship Summer Program
ICLP's 2024 Flagship Summer Program is an onsite program for students affiliated with the Flagship Program at the following universities:
- Arizona State University
- Indiana University
- University of Minnesota
- University of Oregon
- Western Kentucky University
- Brigham Young University
- San Francisco State University
- University of Mississippi
- University of Rhode Island
- Hunter College
- University of Hawaii, Manoa
- University of North Georgia
- University of Washington
PROGRAM DURATION: 9 weeks
(June 17–August 16, 2024)
INSTRUCTIONAL HOURS: 180
RECOMMENDED CREDITS: 12
PROGRAM CAPACITY: 35 students
STUDENT PRE-REQUISITES: Intermediate-mid
TUITION FEE: ~ 5,900 USD
(includes tuition and textbooks)
Priority: January 15, 2024
Regular: January 31, 2024
ICLP has been offering a rigorous summer program to Flagship students since 2012. Over the years, Flagship students who received intensive language instruction at ICLP have found their speaking, listening, reading, and writing abilities to improve by at least one sub-level over the course of one summer.
Founded in 1962 to train and develop the oral discursive ability of America's academic elite, ICLP has provided instruction to many alumni who serve in academia and government over the last half century. ICLP is situated on the Main Campus of the National Taiwan University in Taipei, offering Flagship students access to the NTU Main Library, Health Center, Sports Center, and other facilities in addition to ICLP facilities.
By coming to ICLP to study, students will not only improve their Chinese ability significantly, but also enjoy Taiwan's abundant, diverse, and exquisite cultures. ICLP has formulated this program specially for Flagship students to provide them with the best study environment and an ideal living arrangement.
Flagship students can expect to have 1 one-on-one class as well as 3 group classes of three to four students each day. Classes at ICLP emphasize oral practice, so students must spend adequate time preparing for and reviewing each lesson.
In addition to attendance, preparation, and participation in class, criteria for assessing student performance will include daily dictation quizzes, weekly speeches, weekly exams, a final presentation, reports/reflections on guest lectures, and a 2,000-character academic report. Also, Flagship students are required to take part in the Language Mission Days and submit the designated assignments.
Teaching materials, including textbooks and authentic cold-reading texts, will be determined according to the student's language proficiency level, as assessed through their placement test results. A list of the more commonly assigned textbooks at ICLP can be found on our ► Textbooks page.
Credits earned will be determined by each student's home institution. ICLP will email an official copy of your transcript to your Flagship Center at the end of the program. If your Study Abroad or Registrar's Office requires an official copy as well, please feel free to request for one through our ► Transcript Request Form.
Students will be housed in double or triple occupancy rooms at ► Taipei Paradise, a serviced apartment complex close to ICLP with live-in teachers to facilitate the full-time language pledge and support student's learning outside of class. ► Click here to see a virtual tour
Living room, kitchen (oven, microwave, refrigerator), separate washroom and bathroom, bed, bedding (mattress, blanket and pillow), desk, wardrobe, washer and dryer, TV, internet access, air-conditioner, hot water (available 24 hours), cleaning service (weekly).
2024 FLAGSHIP SUMMER PROGRAM FEES
Fee Amount Due Date Non-refundable Enrollment Deposit NT$18,000 January 31, 2024 (Priority enrollment)
February 25, 2024 (Non-priority enrollment)
Tuition NT$183,000 April 21, 2024 for the tuition balance of NT$165,000 Off-campus Dormitory Fee NT$60,000
Not including a refundable security deposit of NT$8,000
April 21, 2024
- All tuition fees are charged in New Taiwan Dollar by credit card. The enrollment deposit will be credited against the total tuition fee.
- The tuition covers textbooks/materials required for students' classes, except for Independent Studies courses for High-Advanced level students.
- The housing security deposit of NT$8,000 is refundable once the student has met all the requirements of the check-out inspection.
If students need to withdraw from the Program, the following refund guidelines must be observed:
- Students who submit a refund application prior to the first day of class are entitled to a 90% refund of the tuition.
- Students who submit a refund application before the end of the first third of classes are entitled to a refund of 50% of the tuition.
- There will be no refund after the first third of the classes.
- If courses of an entire quarter are cancelled due to low enrollment or other reasons unrelated to the student, a full refund will be issued without interest.
- The cost of any textbook, course material, and associated shipping fees incurred before a refund is requested shall be borne by the student and deducted from the refundable amount.
- No refund will be issued for the application fee.
- Refund applications shall be submitted by 17:00 of the due date. Please submit the following information by online request form (contact ICLP by email for the link):
- Refund request form (template provided by ICLP);
- Bank account information.
- Students who are unable to attend the program may apply for a deferment of enrollment prior to the tuition deadline. The enrollment deposit and/or full tuition will be held for one year. A re-application must be submitted by the application deadline of the quarter enrollment is to be deferred to. No application for deferment will be accepted after the tuition due date.
- Enrollment can only be deferred once. A processing fee and any difference in tuition will be charged in the event that the tuition is raised. However, no refund of tuition difference will be issued if the tuition is reduced. No refund application will be accepted once deferment is granted whether or not the applicant is able to enroll.
- Fees for optional courses, field trips, housing and insurance are non-refundable.
- The refund policy is in compliance with the Regulations for Implementation of Continuing Education at Higher Education Institutions (專科以上學校推廣教育實施辦法修正條文; 100.1.11教育部令) enacted by the R.O.C Ministry of Education.
2024 Flagship Summer ProgramSTUDENT PREREQUISITES
Flagship students with overall Chinese language ability at or above the Intermediate-Mid level.
- Application Form
Includes a 200-word statement of purpose.
- Student's Photo
Please provide a digital, high-resolution photo in JPEG, JPG or PNG format.
- List of Chinese language courses taken
- Language skills assessment form
To be completed directly on the ICLP Online Application System by your language instructor.
- Latest Chinese language proficiency exam scores (recommended)
- Other materials required by student's home university (if any)
APPLICATION DEADLINE (Taiwan Time, UTC +8):
APPLICATION REFERENCE LETTERS Priority Deadline January 15, 2024 January 20, 2024 Regular Deadline January 31, 2024 February 5, 2024
Announcement of Admission Decisions:
- Approximately two weeks after the receipt of applications fully completed before the priority deadline (Language skills assessment form included).
- February 19, 2024 via the online application system for applications submitted between the priority deadline and regular deadline.
►ICLP Online Application System
Some compatibility issues may occur with certain browsers; if pop-up messages do not show up properly, please try switching to another browser. Thank you for your patience.
- Application Form